There’s a pleasure to be derived from kneading dough. All that handwork stimulates the sensory portions of our brain. And this has a positive impact on our well-being; the more developed our sensory and motor areas are, the better for our physical mobility and the less prone we are to anxiety and depression.
But for those who don’t have that much time to spend in the kitchen or have weak upper arms, kneading can be such a drag. This is why bread machines are a useful tool for any modern kitchen. They take the grunt work out of making bread so that you can enjoy them freshly baked every morning, minus the prep work.
Most machines come with their own recipe manuals, thin-sized booklets that contain bread recipes that are guaranteed to work on the machine. These range from basic bread (if one has a standard bread machine) to savory and specialty loaves. But the selections can be limited and once you’ve tried them all, you’ll find yourself wishing you can do more with the machine you have.
That’s why bread machine cookbooks are popular. Not only do they offer more options in terms of recipes but they also teach you the ins and outs of making bread on any bread machine. Some will even teach you how to bake artisan bread using the most basic model in the market.
When choosing the best bread machine cookbook for your needs, it's important to consider the quality of the recipes. They should be simple enough to read through but detailed enough so that instructions and explanations are easy to comprehend.
The cookbook should also include versions for different loaf sizes. The best ones offer three loaf sizes (usually in 1, 1.5, and 2 lbs) while also providing directions for going off-script, such as making loaves for a single person.
Great bread photography is certainly a plus but in general, it’s hard to find a cookbook that has a picture for every bread recipe. This is why it’s important to choose one that has a recipe selection that has easy directions to make up for not having enough photos for visual reference.
In this list, I’ve compiled the best of the recently published bread machine cookbooks as well as the classic ones that have proven reliable over the years. These cookbooks will show you how to make maximum use of your bread machine while serving a variety of delicious bread anytime you want it. And, if you ever want to make bread by hand instead, there are plenty of amazing bread cookbooks out there too.
Here are my top 10 bread machine cookbooks on Amazon.
Table of Contents
- Best Bread Machine Cookbooks
- 1. Making Artisan Breads in the Bread Machine: Beautiful Loaves and Flatbreads from All Over the World – Paperback
- 2. Bread Machine Cookbook: A Complete Baking Guide with Recipes for Making Bread at Home Even if You are a Beginner. Paperback
- 3. The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook: A Master Baker's 300 Favorite Recipes for Perfect-Every-Time Bread- Paperback
- 4. The Bread Machine Cookbook Paperback
- 5. Betty Crocker Best Bread Machine Cookbook: The Goodness of Homemade Bread the Easy Way (Betty Crocker Cooking) Hardcover-spiral
- 6. The Artisan Bread Machine: 250 Recipes for Breads, Rolls, Flatbreads and Pizzas Paperback
- 7. The No-Fuss Bread Machine Cookbook: Hands-Off Recipes for Perfect Homemade Bread Paperback
- 8. Bread Machine Cookbook: The Healthy, Easy and Ultimate Bread Machine Recipes for Beginners 2021
- 9. The Gluten-Free Bread Machine Cookbook: 175 Recipes for Splendid Breads and Delicious Dishes to Make with Them Paperback
- 10. Bread Machine Cookbook: The Ultimate Bread Machine Recipe Book to Easily Bake Loaves, Breadsticks, Buns, Snacks, and More Paperback
- Top Pick
Best Bread Machine Cookbooks
- Making Artisan Breads in the Bread Machine: Beautiful Loaves and Flatbreads from All Over the World – Paperback
- Bread Machine Cookbook: A Complete Baking Guide with Recipes for Making Bread at Home Even if You are a Beginner. Paperback
- The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook: A Master Baker's 300 Favorite Recipes for Perfect-Every-Time Bread- Paperback
- The Bread Machine Cookbook Paperback
- Betty Crocker Best Bread Machine Cookbook: The Goodness of Homemade Bread the Easy Way (Betty Crocker Cooking) Hardcover-spiral
- The Artisan Bread Machine: 250 Recipes for Breads, Rolls, Flatbreads and Pizzas Paperback
- The No-Fuss Bread Machine Cookbook: Hands-Off Recipes for Perfect Homemade Bread Paperback – Bread Machine Cookbook: The Healthy, Easy and Ultimate Bread Machine Recipes for Beginners 2021
- The Gluten-Free Bread Machine Cookbook: 175 Recipes for Splendid Bread and Delicious Dishes to Make with Them Paperback
- Bread Machine Cookbook: The Ultimate Bread Machine Recipe Book to Easily Bake Loaves, Breadsticks, Buns, Snacks, and More Paperback
1. Making Artisan Breads in the Bread Machine: Beautiful Loaves and Flatbreads from All Over the World – Paperback
Learn to make a variety of artisan bread with this cookbook’s selection of 100 bread machine recipes. The selection includes familiar favorites like the French baguette, San Francisco sourdough, and Italian ciabatta to international breads like Rugbrod (Danish rye bread), Irish Soda Bread, German Peasant Bread, and Pane Siciliano.
There are recipes for breads made from start to finish in the bread machine and for loaves that use the machine for mixing/kneading and then are finished in a regular oven. Recipes are good for 2 lb loaves but the book also includes instructions for changing the recipes to other sizes. Measurements are both in volume and weight.
Recommended for experienced bakers who want to get more use out of their bread machines.
2. Bread Machine Cookbook: A Complete Baking Guide with Recipes for Making Bread at Home Even if You are a Beginner. Paperback
This is an entry-level cookbook that also explains the basics of making bread using a machine. It includes an overview of various types of popular bread-making equipment, along with their machine cycles and settings. The recipes include both savory and sweetbreads, as well as whole wheat, focaccia, pizza crust, and sourdough.
Recipes indicate prep and cooking times with some nutritional information also provided. The directions are straightforward and easy to follow. Not all recipes have food photos. One useful feature in this cookbook is its troubleshooting guide that covers anything that can go wrong when baking in a bread machine.
Best for beginner home bakers and those unfamiliar with bread machines.
3. The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook: A Master Baker's 300 Favorite Recipes for Perfect-Every-Time Bread- Paperback
This is a comprehensive cookbook that has a ton of information on everything one needs to know about making bread using a machine. The recipes, meanwhile, have been kitchen-tested so that they’re fool-proof when used in an automatic bread machine. There is a wide selection of bread here, ranging from whole grain and gluten-free breads to sourdough and no-yeast quick breads. There are even recipes for leftover breads.
Recipes are detailed, with clear ingredient lists. The notes for each bread contain suggestions for variations and other useful tips and tricks. Those who’ve tried the recipes found them reliable and the results delicious and tasty.
Great for home bakers of all skill levels and anyone looking for a culinary bible on bread making using a machine.
4. The Bread Machine Cookbook Paperback
This cookbook features more than 130 recipes for white, wholegrain, cheese, fruit, vegetable, herb and spice breads, sourdough loaves, rolls, croissants, and breadsticks. It also includes information on bread machine models,allergy-sensitive baking, and new answers for frequently asked questions about homemade bread.
Recipes are easy to follow with servings for 1, 1-1/2 and 2-lb loaves. All have been kitchen-tested on various brands of bread machines. There are no photos of the breads but the instructions are clearly written and easy to follow. One who tried the recipes said that this book features a lot of delicious recipes that are not found in other cookbooks.
Recommended for anyone looking for reliable bread machine recipes in three loaf sizes.
5. Betty Crocker Best Bread Machine Cookbook: The Goodness of Homemade Bread the Easy Way (Betty Crocker Cooking) Hardcover-spiral
There are 130 recipes here that range from classic favorites, rustic and sweetbreads, to coffeecakes and buns. It also includes recipes for doughs to mix, then shape and bake in a conventional oven — such as focaccia, breadsticks and pizza doughs — with useful illustrations on how to shape and trim the loaves.
Recipes come in 1 1/2-lb and 2-lb loaves and have been kitchen-tested on all the popular bread machine models. There’s even a section that gives an overview of all the useful features of different bread machines and how to use them efficiently when baking the recipes. Instructions and ingredients are clearly stated and there are many photographs and diagrams that accompany most of the recipes.
Recommended for cookbook collectors and fans of the Betty Crocker brand.
6. The Artisan Bread Machine: 250 Recipes for Breads, Rolls, Flatbreads and Pizzas Paperback
This is another entry-level cookbook that teaches beginners how to use their bread machines to create artisan bread. It includes an extensive chapter on how to make use of different flours like doppio zero, sorghum, white whole-wheat, and durum flours, as well as other special bread-baking ingredients. There is also a troubleshooting guide and lots of useful tips.
Recipes range from fairly basic like Whole Cheddar Cheese, Andama, and other rye breads to the creative like Chocolate-Glazed Banana Coconut Swirl Loaf. Most call for an Artisan Dough Enhancer and the book provides a recipe if one wishes to make it.
Directions are straightforward and most of them provide measurements from 1 to 3 lbs. Each one includes tips on water temperature, ingredient variations, and even instructions for oven baking. Those who’ve tried the recipes found them to turn out pretty good.
Ideal for anyone looking for bread recipes that can be done in the oven and in the bread machine.
7. The No-Fuss Bread Machine Cookbook: Hands-Off Recipes for Perfect Homemade Bread Paperback
The recipes in this cookbook don’t require anyone to check on them every 10 minutes to see how the baking is progressing. It’s basically a selection of set-and-forget recipes which should appeal to busy people or beginner bakers.
Recipe directions are easy to understand, the ingredients are easy to find in most grocery stores and there is a large variety of recipes that include sweet and savory breads, including vegetable breads, cheese breads, spice and herb breads, and fruit breads. There are also options for 1 lb, 1.5 lbs, and 2 lbs loaves of bread. Measurements are by volume. A few color photos of various bread are scattered all over the book.
Great for anyone looking for no-fuss bread recipes.
8. Bread Machine Cookbook: The Healthy, Easy and Ultimate Bread Machine Recipes for Beginners 2021
This is a recently published cookbook so its information about how the recipes will work on today’s popular brands of bread machines are current. There’s also the variety of its recipe selection. It ranges from white and wheat breads to savory and sweet bread. There’s also a section on pizza doughs and crusts and cakes and rolls.
Readers liked most of the featured recipes. One mentioned the Peach bread and the Bleu Cheese Onion bread as his favorites. Another mentioned the Buttery Garlic and Sharp Cheddar Biscuits and the Cheddar Bay Biscuits.
Great resource for anyone looking to expand their collection of bread machine recipes.
9. The Gluten-Free Bread Machine Cookbook: 175 Recipes for Splendid Breads and Delicious Dishes to Make with Them Paperback
This cookbook specializes in gluten-free bread recipes and how to cook them on a wide range of bread machine brands and models. Surprisingly, it doesn’t even recommend using the “gluten-free” setting on your bread machine for every recipe.
Recipes are easy to follow and include lots of tips and tricks, including knowing when to use gluten-free settings when baking. It also offers troubleshooting tips to fix bad bread. There's also useful advice for what add-ins one can do or what ingredients are optional. Unfortunately, there are no color photos in this cookbook but experienced bakers won’t be daunted by this.
Recommended for experienced home bakers and anyone looking for a easy gluten-free bread recipes.
10. Bread Machine Cookbook: The Ultimate Bread Machine Recipe Book to Easily Bake Loaves, Breadsticks, Buns, Snacks, and More Paperback
This cookbook explains the principles of home baking and shows you how to create perfect specialty breads using your home bread machine. Along with loaf breads, there are also recipes for breadsticks, buns, pretzels, muffins, and cakes.
Recipes are detailed and accessible for the beginner baker. Some of its ingredient lists will require some specialty items but in general, the food items will be easy to source from local markets and superstores. Those who tried the recipes found them delicious.
Best paired with a practical cookbook on bread machine recipes.
THE BREAD LOVER'S BREAD MACHINE COOKBOOK: A MASTER BAKER'S 300 FAVORITE RECIPES FOR PERFECT-EVERY-TIME BREAD-FROM EVERY KIND OF MACHINE by Beth Hensperger
It’s not the most recent on the list, but the cookbook's comprehensive selection of recipes is pretty much reliable and it is written in a format that’s user-friendly.
Recipes are laid out crisp and are easy to read, with the correct aspect ratios. And the section on the theory and practice of making bread via machine is extensive. One reader said it’s the only one she’s read that deals with how different bread machine cycles are doing in terms of temperature and time.
It also has a thorough selection of starters and sourdoughs. Plus, it has a useful feature that allows you to sample the bread by baking them in smaller portions.
If you need only have one bread machine cookbook in your collection, this is the one you should be having.