For anyone unfamiliar with the clean eating, one might think that it has something to do with food being clean or dirty. But that’s not what it is about. It’s about eating minimally processed, whole foods that provide maximal nutritional benefits.
Focusing on minimally processed food isn’t a bad thing, given that there is so much unhealthy food present in stores and markets. Processed foods, with their synthetic preservatives, hydrogenated fat, and chemical sweeteners, are often thought of as contributors to poor diet. This has resulted in a lot of us becoming overweight or suffering from a lot of diseases.
But shifting to a clean eating lifestyle might not be easy if you don’t know what to look out for or what to eat more of. That’s why a clean eating cookbook is a handy book to have around the kitchen. It’ll introduce you to the basics of eating healthily and teach you how to embrace a wider variety of natural foods.
A good cookbook is one that features a great selection of recipes that has innovative combinations of ingredients. Not only will the recipes inspire you to experiment in the kitchen, but they’ll also surprise you with their big flavors.
In this list, I’ve selected the best ones that not only feature uncomplicated recipes but also that have great food writing. They make the experience of transitioning into a clean diet not only delicious but also enjoyable and easy.
Here are my top 10 clean eating cookbooks on Amazon.
Table of Contents
- Best Clean Eating Cookbooks
- 1. Clean-Eating Breakfasts and Lunches Made Simple: 75 Flavorful and Nutritious Recipes that Ditch Processed Ingredients Paperback
- 2. Clean Eating For Every Season: Fresh, Simple Everyday Meals Paperback
- 3. Naturally Nourished Cookbook: Healthy, Delicious Meals Made with Everyday Ingredients Hardcover – Illustrated
- 4. Clean Soups: Simple, Nourishing Recipes for Health and Vitality [A Cookbook] Hardcover
- 5. Clean Paleo Comfort Food Cookbook: 100 Delicious Recipes That Nourish Body & Soul Paperback
- 6. Clean Treats for Everyone: Healthy Desserts and Snacks Made with Simple, Real Food Ingredients Paperback
- 7. Clean Southern Cuisine: Where Southern Food Comes Clean! Paperback
- 8. Plenty More: Vibrant Vegetable Cooking from London's Ottolenghi [A Cookbook] Hardcover – Illustrated
- 9. Whole Food Cooking Every Day: Transform the Way You Eat with 250 Vegetarian Recipes Free of Gluten, Dairy, and Refined Sugar Hardcover – Illustrated
- 10. Clean Eating Bowls: 100 Real Food Recipes for Eating Clean Hardcover
- Top Pick
Best Clean Eating Cookbooks
- Clean-Eating Breakfasts and Lunches Made Simple: 75 Flavorful and Nutritious Recipes that Ditch Processed Ingredients Paperback
- Clean Eating For Every Season: Fresh, Simple Everyday Meals Paperback
- Naturally Nourished Cookbook: Healthy, Delicious Meals Made with Everyday Ingredients Hardcover – Illustrated
- Clean Soups: Simple, Nourishing Recipes for Health and Vitality [A Cookbook] Hardcover
- Clean Paleo Comfort Food Cookbook: 100 Delicious Recipes That Nourish Body & Soul Paperback
- Clean Treats for Everyone: Healthy Desserts and Snacks Made with Simple, Real Food Ingredients Paperback
- Clean Southern Cuisine: Where Southern Food Comes Clean! Paperback
- Plenty More: Vibrant Vegetable Cooking from London's Ottolenghi [A Cookbook] Hardcover – Illustrated
- Whole Food Cooking Every Day: Transform the Way You Eat with 250 Vegetarian Recipes Hardcover – Illustrated
- Clean Eating Bowls: 100 Real Food Recipes for Eating Clean Hardcover
1. Clean-Eating Breakfasts and Lunches Made Simple: 75 Flavorful and Nutritious Recipes that Ditch Processed Ingredients Paperback
This is a collection of easy, nutritious recipes that can be prepped the night before so that you can have breakfast and lunch meals that can be assembled quickly the next day. Samples of the selection include Bananas Foster Overnight Oats, Blackberry Cobbler Greek Yogurt Bowl, Chickpea Meatballs Sub, and Rainbow Detox Salad with Sesame-Ginger Peanut Dressing.
Recipes are very easy to follow and are laid out in a visually appealing way. There are full-color photos of each featured dish. The ingredient lists are short and call for healthy produce and store-bought cupboard ingredients.
Readers liked this book for its no-fuss recipes. One liked it because various stand-alone recipes can be converted into meal prep recipes. Another found the recipes delicious.
Recommended for anyone looking for light and healthy breakfast or lunch recipes.
2. Clean Eating For Every Season: Fresh, Simple Everyday Meals Paperback
This cookbook features a selection of 250 recipes that are organized by season and highlight seasonal produce. It includes detailed menu plans and shopping lists to make the transition to clean eating easy and convenient for anyone.
Recipes are straightforward and easy, with detailed breakdowns of calorie count and nutrition. Almost all have full-color photos of the featured dishes. Samples of the selection include Quinoa-Stuffed Acorn Squash with Walnuts & Cranberries, Sheet Pan Pizza with Fingerlings & Gogonzol, Sweet Pepper Sirloin Salad with Fresh Horseradish Vinaigrette & Blue Cheese and Curried Cauliflower Rice Bowls with Crispy Chickpeas.
Readers liked the variety of the recipes. One found the cookbook’s menu planner very useful. Another liked its selection of pasta dishes.
Recommended for anyone looking for clean-eating information, including beginners and those looking to expand their repertoire of recipes.
3. Naturally Nourished Cookbook: Healthy, Delicious Meals Made with Everyday Ingredients Hardcover – Illustrated
This is a collection of vegetarian recipes that highlight everyday ingredients and easy cooking techniques. There are 100 recipes here that cover all types of meals, from mains and sides to soups and salads and even snacks.
Recipes are accessible, simple, and use common ingredients. Lots of them are vegan and gluten-free. There are also lavish food illustrations to highlight the recipes. Samples include North African Sun-Dried Tomato Soup, Ginger-Lemon Split Pea Soup, a Grilled Caesar Salad With Chickpea Croutons, Smoky Roasted Carrot Hummus, and the Tomatoes with Basil and Sunflower Meta Feta.
Readers loved the recipes Rollover feature which allows one to use the leftovers from one recipe to be used for another recipe in the selection. Another liked that this book is the antithesis of an Ottolenghi cookbook in that the recipes don’t overwhelm the home cook. Those that tried them found them delicious.
Recommended for anyone looking for easy but inventive vegetarian recipes.
4. Clean Soups: Simple, Nourishing Recipes for Health and Vitality [A Cookbook] Hardcover
This cookbook features an interesting selection of soup recipes for all kinds of meals. There are 60 recipes here that range from foundational broths and blended soups to traditional healing soups and two-day cleanse concoctions. Most are vegetable-centric like Thai Coconut Broth, Escarole Soup, Summer Zucchini and Basil soup, Spiced Butternut Soup with Cardamom and Ginger, and Moroccan Carrot Soup but there are the usual bone broths as well.
Recipes have step-by-step instructions and include photographs of the ingredients. There are also handy tips and suggestions for the beginner cook as well as Cook Notes at the end of the recipe.
Readers found the book’s soup combinations interesting and delicious. One found its soup tool kit on the basics of soup-making very helpful. Another liked the recipes require making them from scratch instead of relying on processed ingredients.
Recommended for soup lovers and home cooks looking for international cuisine-influenced soup recipes.
5. Clean Paleo Comfort Food Cookbook: 100 Delicious Recipes That Nourish Body & Soul Paperback
For clean eaters who are into the paleo diet, this cookbook has a selection of recipes made from scratch with several of them low-FODMAP. It also has a nice selection of homemade sauces, as well as an extensive collection of comfort food dessert recipes.
Recipes range from simple to moderately complicated. Ingredient lists are generally short, with a few of them requiring some specialty ingredients that can be purchased online. Each recipe is labeled nut-free, egg-free, and/or low FODMAP, whenever appropriate. Measurements are given in US standard with metric measures in parentheses. Not all recipes come with photos.
One reader found it a solid starter for anyone looking to try out the paleo/clean eating lifestyle. Another liked that is recipes are mostly allergen-friendly.
Recommended for paleo dieters and experienced home cooks.
6. Clean Treats for Everyone: Healthy Desserts and Snacks Made with Simple, Real Food Ingredients Paperback
This is a dessert and snack cookbook that features gluten- and dairy-free recipes that use natural ingredients and no refined sugars. There are lots of clean versions of familiar favorites here, like Lemon Bars, Flourless Chocolate Cookies, No-Bake Blueberry Cheesecake, and Chocolate Fudge Pops.
Recipes are labeled appropriately on whether they’re vegan, nut- or egg-free. They also rely on natural sweeteners like honey, maple syrup, and coconut palm sugar. Most are easily adaptable for a variety of diets, with recommendations for ingredient substitutions.
The steps are laid out in a clear and simple manner although not every recipe is accompanied by a food photo. Measurements are in grams, milliliter, and cups.
Recommended for anyone looking for easy and healthy desserts.
7. Clean Southern Cuisine: Where Southern Food Comes Clean! Paperback
This cookbook’s recipe selection draws on Southern cuisine culinary traditions while featuring whole and natural ingredients that pack in flavor and texture. Most of them are based on authentic Cajun recipes and are gluten-free. The book also includes shopping lists and ingredient recommendations, as well as useful tips and tricks for getting started with clean eating.
Recipes are organized well, and easy to follow, with large photos of the featured dishes. Whenever appropriate, they’re also labeled if they’re Paleo, AIP, and Keto-friendly. Some of the featured dishes include Jambalaya with Spaghetti Squash, Asian Cajun Pecans, Belle of the Ball Biscuits, and Chicken and Andouille Gumbo.
Readers liked the variety of recipes and found them reliable and delicious. One found the charts with brand and product recommendations very helpful for shopping ingredients. Another liked its recipe for homemade GF all-purpose flour.
Recommended for anyone looking for clean versions of Cajun and NOLA recipes.
8. Plenty More: Vibrant Vegetable Cooking from London's Ottolenghi [A Cookbook] Hardcover – Illustrated
A follow-up to the author's award-winning cookbook Plenty, this one features more than 150 vegetarian recipes that use seasonal ingredients and bold spices to create flavor and texture. Most of them draw influences from the Middle East but they're also recipes that reflect other ethnic cuisines.
Recipes are organized by cooking method and range from salads to main dishes and desserts. Beautiful food photos provide convenient visual references to the dishes. The ingredient lists vary in length and a few will require specialty ingredients like sorrel, umeboshi puree, and “buna-shimeji (brown beech) mushrooms.” Substitution suggestions are, however, provided. Measurements are given by volume and weight.
Most of the readers found the recipes accessible although they are prep intensive, as per an Ottolenghi cookbook. One found this an excellent resource for identifying seasonal ingredients.
Recommended for skilled home cooks and professional chefs.
9. Whole Food Cooking Every Day: Transform the Way You Eat with 250 Vegetarian Recipes Free of Gluten, Dairy, and Refined Sugar Hardcover – Illustrated
This is a collection of whole food recipes that use seeds and nuts, fruits and vegetables, whole grains as key ingredients. The emphasis is on the use of seasonal fresh produce to create healthy and clean foods.
The selection is composed of baseline recipes that allow you to master the essentials of whole food cooking. Once you’ve picked up the basics, the book then presents variations of these base recipes so that one can easily be creative and cook according to one’s own culinary inspiration.
Recipes are clear and easy to follow but some may require ingredients that aren’t readily accessible in local markets or stores. There are lots of photos and colorful illustrations. Those who’ve tried them found them to be very flavorful. Another found the menu-planning sections useful.
Recommended for fans of whole food cooking and anyone looking for creative vegetarian recipes.
10. Clean Eating Bowls: 100 Real Food Recipes for Eating Clean Hardcover
This is an entry-level cookbook that features basic clean eating recipes for bowl food. Samples of the selection include Huevos Rancheros Breakfast Bowl, Carrot Cake Smoothie Bowl, The Ultimate Taco Salad Bowl, Barbacoa and Avocado Bowl, Poke Noodle Bowl, and Peanut Butter Cup Pudding Bowl.
Recipes are easy to assemble with ingredients that are pantry staples or accessible in local stores. The selection is categorized into Smoothie Bowls, Breakfast Bowls, Grain Bowls, Salad Bowls, Soup Bowls, Noodle Bowls, and Dessert Bowls. Most of them cover 2 or 4 serving sizes, though there are also a few recipes good for 1 and 6 servings.
Recommended for anyone looking for unique food bowl recipes.
NATURALLY NOURISHED by Sarah Britton
This is a beautiful cookbook with lavish illustrations and gorgeous food photography. But more than that, the recipes pack big flavors despite using whole food ingredients. And the combinations are unique and interesting so this will appeal to anyone looking for some creative inspiration in the kitchen.
It's also user-friendly. There are lots of tips for cooking with veggies and creating balanced healthy meals. It also includes a chapter on buying and storing organic and fresh kitchen staples, as well as learning how to grow your own sprouts. Most useful is learning how to cook once for 3 different meals.
Overall, an excellent cookbook for anyone wanting to try a clean diet.