An electric skillet is a useful thing to have around your kitchen.
When your kitchen space is small, it can take the place of several bulky cooking appliances, like a cooking stove, a grill, or even an oven.
It also makes your cooking easier because it heats up quickly while also being an energy saver. When cooking for a large crowd, a skillet can function as an additional cooktop for your side dishes when your main burners are in use. It’s also great for keeping food warm since it can maintain a specific temperature.
Another great feature of a large electric skillet is that it's easy to clean so you don’t have to spend more time washing it.
If you’ve got a large family or if you like to host parties, a large electric skillet should be part of your main kitchen arsenal (there are small electric skillets too, for those who have a tiny kitchen).
When we’re talking about large skillets, they generally tend to fall within a 12″-14” range. Anything higher than that is jumbo-sized. These extra-large ones, which usually start at 16”, provide the largest cooking space and are preferred by chefs who run professional kitchens. There’s even a skillet pan that measures 40 by 40 inches!
But for an average American family, a large electric skillet is more than enough. You can cook a meal in it that's good for four to six people.
Depending on its functions, you can do a lot of things with a large electric skillet. You can fry chicken, cook paella, braise some meat, and even cook noodles. That’s because they are designed with a lot of special features, like temperature controls for specific cooking requirements.
And because they are designed elegantly, they make nice dish warmers for your food. It's very convenient; once it’s done cooking the meal, you can just remove the electric cord and carry the skillet to the dining table.
Here’s a tip: during the holidays, a large electric skillet is a lifesaver. If you’re not using one to prep your food, you can use it to free the oven up for the food that guests bring. And if you’re not cooking indoors, it’s a great way to be able to cook outside without bringing the pans and the cooking stove with you.
These days, electric skillets come with a whole lot of fancy features and accessories. Versatility is the name of the game when it comes to these appliances. Here are the best on the market.
Table of Contents
- The Best Large Electric Skillets
- 1. Presto 16-inch Electric Foldaway Skillet
- 2. Electric Skillet By Cucina Pro – 18/10 Stainless Steel with Tempered Glass Lid
- 3. Elite Gourmet Deep Dish Non-stick Electric Skillet, 1500W
- 4. Dash Family Size Rapid Heat Electric Skillet + Hot Oven Cooker
- 5. Black & Decker Family Sized Electric Skillet
- Buyers Guide to Picking the Right Large Electric Skillet
The Best Large Electric Skillets
- Presto 16-inch Electric Foldaway Skillet
- Electric Skillet By Cucina Pro – 18/10 Stainless Steel with Tempered Glass Lid
- Elite Gourmet Deep Dish Non-stick Electric Skillet, 1500W
- Dash Family Size Rapid Heat Electric Skillet + Hot Oven Cooker
- Black & Decker Family Sized Electric Skillet
1. Presto 16-inch Electric Foldaway Skillet
This skillet can fit 8 chicken thighs, and 3 whole chicken breasts. You can roast, fry, grill, stew, or bake in this skillet. Its heat control maintains the desired cooking temperature automatically.
Made from cast aluminum, the skillet has a deluxe nonstick surface for easy cleaning. Its handle can be folded in and the base removed so you can store it easily.
It has high side walls so that food won’t be spilled when you're cooking while also providing extra cooking capacity. It has a built-in spout for pouring liquids from the skillet. The spout also functions as a spoon or spatula holder.
It has a tempered glass cover and stay-cool handles so that it can be used as a buffet server.
- The skillet can be removed from its base and cleaned via dishwasher
- Removable parts for easy storage
- It pulls a lot of power just like a slow cooker
- Nonstick coating wears off conveniently after the 1-year warranty
2. Electric Skillet By Cucina Pro – 18/10 Stainless Steel with Tempered Glass Lid
This can cook for a family of four. A user said it can fit 7 pork chops for simultaneous cooking.
Made from polished 18/10 stainless steel, it heats quickly and evenly. It comes with a temperature probe that allows you to control the cooking process so you get perfectly cooked meals.
It has a tempered glass lid that locks in the heat while allowing you to see the cooking process. It also has riveted handles that are attached securely so it's safe to handle.
- Controlled temperature is more consistent
- No worry about non stick coating
- Heavy stainless steel, so elderly people may have difficulty lifting it
- Very large, not for small countertop spaces
3. Elite Gourmet Deep Dish Non-stick Electric Skillet, 1500W
This 8-quart skillet can cook meals for 6-8 people. It has a unique M-shaped heating element fully embedded into the bottom of the pan which allows it to heat quickly than most brands and prevent hot spots.
Made from thick cast aluminum, it has 3.15” splatter-proof walls, a cool-touch knob and handles, and an integrated easy-pour spout for draining excess juices conveniently.
It has a removable control probe that can adjust the temperature from 200-400F degrees. A clear tempered glass helps lock in heat and flavor when cooking. Its PFOA free marbleized honeycomb nonstick coating is supposedly more durable than Teflon.
Safety tested ETL, this electric skillet comes with a 1-year warranty.
- Temperature control is easy and accessible, comes with a WARM setting
- Good after sales service
- Uneven quality of stocks; maybe because it’s built in China?
- Nonstick coating easily comes off
4. Dash Family Size Rapid Heat Electric Skillet + Hot Oven Cooker
This has 14 inches of cooking space that can accommodate 20 cups or, as one user said, cook 7 burgers. It can feed a family of 6. This skillet is ideal for countertop cooking and baking. You can even cook pizza using this skillet.
It quickly heats up to 450F degrees, and has a removable electric probe and cord. A tempered glass lid, with a silicon seal, helps seal the flavor and heat. Its nonstick TruGlide coating is PFOA-free and makes the skillet easy to clean.
Accessories include anti-slip feet, removable cords, and recipe book.
- Lightweight, with a large cooking area, like the size of a small tire
- Easy to clean, just wipe it off
- The temperature dial is just Low and High; so it's not specific enough for baking
- It has a circular heating element which tends to result in uneven cooking
5. Black & Decker Family Sized Electric Skillet
This skillet has a 12″ x 15″ x 2″ deep cooking surface, with a non stick interior coating to make it easy to clean.
It has an easy to use dial control that can be used for warming dishes at its lowest setting. It comes with the standard tempered glass lid and quick release variable temperature probe.
The handles and its base are heat resistant and cool touch for easy handling.
- Non stick coating lasts longer than most brands
- Lightweight and easy to clean
- No stoppers on the feet; can easily slide across the table
- Not immersible for washing
Buyers Guide to Picking the Right Large Electric Skillet
How large your electric skillet should be the least of your concerns when picking out the right skillet. The 12-14” size range for this category is generally sufficient enough to feed a large family. What's more important are these qualities.
Electric skillets are designed to heat quickly and for the most part, most do. What you should really look out for is if it will heat evenly.
One way to check this is by looking at the type of heating element at the bottom of the pan. Most have a coil-style heating element which makes it difficult to distribute heat evenly. The best ones have a unique heating element design that eliminates uneven heating.
Check also its temperature range. Usually, they all range from 175°F to 475°F. All skillets should run hotter than the max temperature indicated on the thermostat, but not lower than the minimum temperature.
The thermostat should be easy to operate and to read. It should also be firmly fixed in its socket. I like it when a skillet has a thermostat with a light that turns on and off as the heat does.
Does it have a cool-touch base and handles? Is the nonstick coating non-toxic and safe? Does the electric cord have a breakaway function if someone snags the cord? Be also on the lookout for a pour spot especially if you’re going to use the skillet for frying.
Easy Cleanup & Storage
If it has removable parts that can be washed by dishwasher or by hand, that’s a plus. A non-stick coat is a standard feature in a skillet because it makes it easy to clean.
But check the non-stick coating closely since not all have the same quality. The best ones are those that last for at least two years.
The standard warranty for skillets usually lasts only a year. But if you can find a brand that offers a 2-year warranty or more, then that’s worth considering.
Check also their after-sales service by going through the customer reviews on their site. This is one way of looking into their reliability as some of these manufacturers will rely on pure marketing hype.