A mini electric kettle is a handy thing to have whenever you’re traveling. It’s small enough that you can tuck it away in the corner of your luggage and useful enough for those times when you desperately need a hot cup of water.
Also known as travel kettles, these are single serving kettles which generally have one function: boiling water. But for frequent travelers, they do more than just serve hot water. They’re also useful for boiling an egg or a soup packet. Some even use it to warm baby food.
If you’re looking for a kettle that will brew coffee or tea, then this is not for you. Gooseneck kettles can be much more useful for that purpose.
But a small electric kettle is a very useful companion for your portable coffee set-up. Pack your kettle with a Chemex or a French press, and you’ll be able to enjoy your brewed coffee anywhere you go.
They’re lightweight and durable enough that you can tuck them inside any luggage. Some manufacturers even provide a carrying bag.
Some are even designed to be foldable so that they can even fit a large pocket. But because they come in a mini-size, they usually only have a capacity of around 0.5-.8 liters. That’s about 2-3 cups. The same problem applies with other small appliances, like portable blenders and electric skillets.
Small electric kettles are generally made from stainless steel and covered with food-grade hard plastic on the exterior. They usually need to be plugged into an outlet but because they’re small, they heat up the water very quickly than standard-sized kettles.
Some models can be plugged into a car socket. These kettles usually take longer to boil water but if you like having a hot drink or just need your coffee to be reheated, then this can be very useful for you.
Like most small appliances though, the majority of these mini kettles are manufactured in China. Now, this may be an issue for some because not every China-made product is made to standard quality. That being said, some models that have been designed here but are produced in China generally turn out to be of good, dependable quality.
Here are my top picks for the best mini electric kettles on the market.
Table of Contents
- The Best Mini Electric Kettles
- 1. IronRen 0.5L Portable Electric Kettle, Mini Travel Kettle, 800W
- 2. Gourmia GK338B Electric Collapsible Travel Kettle, 1 QT
- 3. Bonavita 0.5L Mini Kettle, Stainless Steel, 900W
- 4. Ultrathin Upgraded Food Grade Silicone Travel Foldable Electric Kettle, 680W
- 5. Portable Electric Kettle – 0.5L Mini Stainless Steel Travel Kettle, 800W
- Buyers Guide to Choosing Your Mini Electric Kettle
The Best Mini Electric Kettles
- IronRen 0.5L Portable Electric Kettle, Mini Travel Kettle,
- Gourmia GK338B Electric Collapsible Travel Kettle
- Bonavita 0.5L Mini Kettle, Stainless Steel
- Ultrathin Upgraded Food Grade Silicone Travel Foldable Electric Kettle
- Portable Electric Kettle – 0.5L Mini Stainless Steel Travel Kettle
1. IronRen 0.5L Portable Electric Kettle, Mini Travel Kettle, 800W
This mini electric kettle boils water in 5 minutes. It’s also useful for cooking eggs or noodles and heating milk.
It’s made from 304 stainless steel which makes it easy to clean. It also has an easy pour spout, a pop-up lid, a comfortable handle and an On/Off Indicator light. It can be removed from its base for cordless serving.
Its safety features include an Auto Shut-off and Boil-dry Protection. This product also comes with a 30 day money back guarantee if you are not satisfied with it.
- Interior is made from thick stainless steel, seamless construction
- No frills operation
- Not UL certified; may not be legal for use in some dormitories
- Some consumers found it a little too loud
2. Gourmia GK338B Electric Collapsible Travel Kettle, 1 QT
This collapsible kettle quickly heats 4 cups of water in just 3-5 minutes. It’s useful for making coffee, hot cocoa, tea, or oatmeal.
Because of its design, the kettle is made from food grade silicon. It’s lightweight, durable, and resistant to high temperatures so it’s safe for you to use. Once you’re done, just flatten it into a disc and it's ready for storage.
This also comes with safety features: it has an Auto Shut-Off, Boil-Dry Protection and Lid-Lock functions to prevent you from being scalded by the heat.
- Even when the kettle is filled with hot water, the bottom is cool to the touch
- Can fit in a large pocket
- There’s a plastic smell during initial use that goes away after you’ve used it five times.
- The electric cord is too short; it's a potential burning hazard if it is tripped and the kettle spills boiling water
This kettle can hold about 2 cups of water and will quickly boil it in just four minutes.
It’s made from durable brushed stainless steel. Safety features include a cool-touch handle and an Auto-Shut Off and Boil-Dry protection functions. There’s also a Velcro wrap for its electrical cord.
It comes with a 1-year warranty.
- UL certified
- Base and handle does not get hot
- The kettle does not lift off from its base but the cord is detachable though
- Not spill-proof
4. Ultrathin Upgraded Food Grade Silicone Travel Foldable Electric Kettle, 680W
It can hold 555ml of water and boil it in just 3-5 minutes. At its full size, it’s like a mobile phone. But when it’s folded , the disc has a height of about 2 inches so its easy to store anywhere.
The main kettle body is made of food grade and PBA-free silicone while the heating plate and kettle lid is made of 3004 stainless steel.
Its handle and power cord are detachable from the kettle body for convenient storage and for cordless pouring. Its base has 3 anti-slip pads to keep it stable when full of water.
It’s easy to operate; just press a button and it will start boiling. After boiling, when the temperature drops below 75 degrees, it will automatically reheat the water.
- Can be adjusted to work with 110 or 220 volts
- Auto reheat feature
- Has a rubber smell during unpacking which goes away with regular use
- Max and Min mark lines are too tiny to read for some consumers; may lead to overfilling and increases the chances of being burnt by spilt boiling water
5. Portable Electric Kettle – 0.5L Mini Stainless Steel Travel Kettle, 800W
This kettle heats up water in under 2 minutes and boils it in 5.
The kettle liner, inner lid, spout, and filter are made in high quality 304 stainless steel. The exterior has some plastic parts but the kettle is designed in such a way that the plastic does not touch the water.
It has a large opening so you can use your hand to wash the interior. The kettle can be detached from its lid and base for convenient storage.
Safety measures include an insulated exterior and handle, an Auto Shut-off and Boil Dry Protection functions.
- Seamless stainless steel interior
- Detachable base
- Some consumer concerns about the cord being too big and too hard
- Base isn’t sturdy and hard which makes for some awkward handling
Buyers Guide to Choosing Your Mini Electric Kettle
There are not that many mini-electric kettles on Amazon and the ones that are featured often try to dazzle the prospective buyer with some product gimmicks. Here’s what you should really look out for when buying one.
The most that a mini-electric kettle can carry is equivalent to four cups. Anything more than that is a standard sized electric kettle. If what you’re looking for is a lightweight kettle that you can tuck into your baggage and which you’ll only use for boiling water, then pick the mini size. Otherwise, choose choose the normal size.
Because they’re mini-me versions, the usual features that allow you to set temperatures in an electric kettle are absent. You’ll only have a single button that automatically starts the heating process.
Occasionally though, a kettle might feature a self reheating function. You might find this a useful feature worth considering.
These type of kettles come in either stainless steel or silicone. Those who prefer glass will be disappointed but there are portability issues to consider. Stainless steel is more durable and lighter than glass while silicone allows flexibility for the kettle to be folded.
The more important thing to consider is whether the stainless steel interior is seamless so that you don’t have to worry about leakage along the bottom.
Also take note if it has plastic parts and whether these touch the water. While the plastics used in kitchen appliances nowadays are already BPA-free and non toxic, it is still reassuring to see that the plastic parts are not exposed to the boiling water.
Automatic shut-off and boil-dry protection are standard safety features in mini-kettles. Make sure these are present in the product and check whether they work properly.
Mini kettles usually have a carrying bag as an accessory. But I wouldn’t mind considering one that comes with additional carafes, detachable mugs, or even spoons for easy stirring.
Like any appliance, check the warranty. Standard warranties for these products generally fall within one year. If you can find one with a 2-year warranty, that’s something worthwhile to consider.