Whenever you need to boil water quickly for any reason, an electric kettle is a handy appliance to have.
It boils water faster than a stove top and the high end ones even feature adjustable temperature settings so that you can use it for brewing coffee or any specialty tea.
Stainless steel electric kettles are the most common out in the market. This is because the metal is lighweight, durable, and conducts heat well. It’s also generally the most affordable. You'll see stainless steel feature in other types of cookware too, like electric skillets.
Stainless steel is safe to be used for cookware. It is basically made of iron, with some nickel and chromium added into the alloy to make it stable. This makes it non-reactive and neutral when heated. It won’t leach toxic metals into your food.
A high quality stainless steel is usually labelled 18/10 which means it has 18% chromium and 10% nickel. This mix is what makes it highly resistant to rust and corrosion. It also makes it easy to clean.
In the cookware industry, the label 404 stainless steel is used to designate food grade steel. This means that the stainless steel won’t leave any metallic flavor or smell in the water.
The only downside to this is that if you’re allergic to nickel, this shouldn’t be the kettle that you should be drinking from. If this is the case, you might focus on a glass electric kettle instead.
Beyond its practical function, stainless steel also provides an aesthetic value. Many stainless steel electric kettles are stylishly designed, with many manufacturers constantly adding a lot of modern features to make it more convenient to use.
For example, cordless is the way to go when it comes to these stainless steel types. This means that the kettle can be separated from its heating base so that it can pour water without the hassle of an electric cord. The cord, meanwhile, can be removed from the base or coiled under the base, depending on the manufacturer.
Some even include a scale filter to prevent the limescale build up inside the kettle. This is very convenient because the hard water that we usually use for boiling has a high concentration of calcium that gets deposited in the interior of the kettle over time.
Most electric kettles are produced overseas, specifically in China. While that maybe a concern for some, not every China-made product is of low quality. It just so happens that it’s cheaper to manufacture the product there so most of the high-quality brands do their production there.
In most cases, these products are every bit as high quality as they would be if they were produced here in the US. These undergo strict quality standards so you don’t have to worry about getting a dud.
Here are my top five recommendations.
Table of Contents
- The Best Stainless Steel Electric Kettles
- 1. Miroco Electric Kettle Temperature Control Stainless Steel 1.7 L Tea Kettle, BPA-Free
- 2. Secura Double Wall Stainless Steel Electric Kettle Water Heater 1.5L/1.6Qt
- 3. Topwit Electric Kettle Hot Water Kettle, Upgraded, 2 Liter Stainless Steel
- 4. Hamilton Beach Electric Tea Kettle, Water Boiler & Heater, 1 L
- 5. Chefman Stainless Steel Electric Kettle
- Buyers Guide to Picking the Right Stainless Steel Electric Kettle for Your Kitchen
The Best Stainless Steel Electric Kettles
- Miroco Electric Kettle Temperature Control Stainless Steel 1.7 L Tea Kettle
- Secura Double Wall Stainless Steel Electric Kettle Water Heater 1.5L/1.6Qt
- Topwit Electric Kettle Hot Water Kettle, Upgraded, 2 Liter Stainless Steel
- Hamilton Beach Electric Tea Kettle, Water Boiler & Heater, 1 L,
- Chefman Stainless Steel Electric Kettle
1. Miroco Electric Kettle Temperature Control Stainless Steel 1.7 L Tea Kettle, BPA-Free
Powered by 1500W, this electric kettle comes with 6 preset heat settings for boiling, not only water, but also coffee or specialty teas.
The kettle has a double wall design; the inside is made from seamless stainless steel, while the exterior wall is made from BPA-free hard plastic. This design allows the electric kettle to keep the water hot longer, while protecting the user from burns while handling the appliance.
This product uses the British Strix thermostat technology which makes it energy efficient. It has a Keep Warm feature that maintains the temperature setting for up to 1 hour. Safety functions include an advanced auto shut off feature, boil dry protection function and cordless serving.
It also has a unique internal memory feature that keeps the last temperature setting for 3 minutes when the kettle is off its base without going into standby mode.
- Has a Keep Warm Function
- Shows real-time temperature
- The directions are not easy to understand for first time users
- Some concerns about the lid’s plastic latch touching the water
2. Secura Double Wall Stainless Steel Electric Kettle Water Heater 1.5L/1.6Qt
This kettle has 1350W of heating power, with a British STRIX thermostat control for efficient energy usage.
It has a double wall unibody design with walls made from foodgrade 304 stainless steel. Kettle lid, spout and steam hole are also in stainless steel. There’s a water level line in the interior, eliminating the need for a glass window.
The kettle can be removed from its base for cordless serving. Safety features include an extra large heat-resistant handle, Auto Shut Off and Boil Dry Protection functions, a steam sensor switch, and a One Touch Illuminating Off/On Switch. The power cord can be conveniently coiled around the base for storage.
- Extra large opening for easy cleaning
- 2-year after sales warranty
- Water level marks on the interior are on one side only.
- Some users complained about how the power cord doesn’t securely attach to the base.
3. Topwit Electric Kettle Hot Water Kettle, Upgraded, 2 Liter Stainless Steel
Powered by 1000W, this electric kettle is a no-frills way of conveniently boiling water quickly for a large family.
Made from 100% stainless steel, its durable and lightweight. It has an advance temperature controller with safety features such as an automatic shut off function and boil dry protection technology. Its handle is covered with food grade silicone to prevent the heat from scalding your hand.
This kettle can be detached from its heating base for cordless serving. The cord neatly wraps around the base for easy storage.
- On/off switch conveniently located at the thumb placement on the handle
- Boils water quickly; users say it reaches boiling temp within 3 minutes
- No “Keep Warm” feature
- Doesn’t have a window scale to see water level
4. Hamilton Beach Electric Tea Kettle, Water Boiler & Heater, 1 L
Runs on 1500W, this electric kettle is convenient for college dorms, office cubicles or tiny kitchens.
Like the others on this list, it is designed for cordless serving and has Automatic Shut Off function with boil dry protection.
It comes with a removable mesh filter for its easy pour spout. The filter is used to keep the scale deposits from leaving the kettle.
It also has an illuminated On/Off switch and the heating element at the base is concealed for more protection.
- Heats water in 5 minutes
- Has a water level window
- Some concerns about the short length of its electric cord
- Relatively noisy compared to the average electric kettle
5. Chefman Stainless Steel Electric Kettle
This kettle has a 1000W motor that’s compatible with 120V outlets and is capable of boiling water faster than a microwave.
Its cordless design feature has a 360-degree swivel base that allows you to remove or attach the kettle to its base from any direction. The electric cord, meanwhile, wraps under the base for storage.
It’s ETL approved and comes with an Auto Shutoff function and Boil Dry protection. The plastic parts on its exterior are BPA-free. The interior and exterior kettle body is made from food grade stainless steel.
- Easy to read water level window
- Heating element is covered
- Dim LED light
- Some concerns about durability of product
Buyers Guide to Picking the Right Stainless Steel Electric Kettle for Your Kitchen
In general, when choosing kettles, the best ones are always those that are easy to fill and pour, quickly bring water to boil and can be easily cleaned.
But if you want to be really discerning, don’t forget to check out these qualities too.
Electric kettles are either designed with covered or immersed heating elements. Some cheaper models will leave the metal heating coil exposed in the kettle’s bottom. Over time, lime scale will slowly build up in the coil, and cleaning it will be a pain in the ass.
Pick a kettle that has its heating element concealed in the base. Whether exposed or hidden, both kettle types will heat just the same but you’ll have an easier time cleaning one that has its heating coil safely covered.
The standard time that an average electric kettle can boil water is around 7 minutes. The best ones are those that boil water within 2 to 4 minutes.
Does it come with some pre-set temperatures? Some stainless electric kettles allow you do to more than just boil water. You can use it to brew coffee or tea leaves. These are programmed with the specific temperature needed to obtain the maximum flavor of a particular ingredient. So this makes it a convenient and easy way to make your favorite hot drink.
Does it have safety features? Auto-Shut Off and Boil Dry Protection are standard safety features in electric kettles. Make sure that these function well. Check also for cool touch handles.
The standard warranty is limited to a year. Some cheap products will actually perform less than that. The best is a 2-year warranty.
Check also the product’s after sales service. If this is good, then returning a faulty product won’t be a problem.