Food subscription boxes are one of the best gifts to give, especially to the person who has everything. What makes food subscription boxes fun is that the recipient receives a fun gift each month, reminding them how much you care.
But food subscription boxes aren't just great gifts; they can also be a wonderful way to simplify your life and save on time, stress, and often money. Some of the best food subscription boxes are meal kit services.
Meal kit subscriptions are perfect for the busy family, the person who loves cooking but not shopping, or the person who wants to eat healthily yet takes the guesswork out of meal planning.
Then there are snack subscription boxes, which are ideal for those who want to manage their snack intake or try new snacks without committing to a full-size package. Snack subscriptions are a fun way to try healthier options without spending a ton of money or worrying about wasting a lot of food.
And of course, there are always gourmet subscription clubs, which are a fabulous way to spoil yourself or a loved one. They can contain premium cheeses, charcuterie, wines, and premium fruits. These subscriptions are all about indulgence.
But whatever your fancy, we have selected the 14 top-ranked food subscription boxes of 2020, making sure we included a variety of unique, premium, and convenient food subscription boxes.
Table of Contents
Food Subscription Boxes
- Green Chef
- Hello Fresh
- Butcher Box
- Vegan Cuts
- Love with Food
- The Mantry Company
- The Popcorn Factory
- Carnivore Club
- Wine Down Box
- Harry and David
- Wolferman's Bakery
- McConnell's Fine Ice Cream
Green Chef is a clean meal kit service that can be customized to meet specific dietary needs. All ingredients are prepped and premeasured, using organic produce and eggs, making mealtime healthy, fast, and easy. Best of all, the meals start as low as $5.82 per meal.
The three primary Green Chef meal plans are:
- Keto + Paleo – Gluten- and grain-free ideal for those cutting carbs, includes meals such as:
- Shrimp and veggie hash
- Mozzarella stuffed pork meatballs
- Curry-spiced pork and veggie stir fry
- Balanced Living – A diverse, flexible plan that includes meat, seafood, and vegetarian meals, some examples of the meals in this plan include:
- Creamy chicken pot pie
- Honey citrus glazed salmon
- Creamy truffle and mushroom linguine
- Plant-Powered – Ideal meal plan for vegetarians and vegans, menu items are:
- Black bean and veggie burrito bowl
- Veggie and pesto flatbread
- Portabello steak salad
After choosing one of the above plans, you then select the number of meals and recipes. All of the meals come with easy-to-follow instructions accompanied by pictures.
Hello Fresh is another meal kit service that strives to save its customers time, money, and stress. Their meal plans are flexible, don't require a contract, and start at $7.49 per serving.
There are six meal plans to choose from:
- Meat and Veggie – Includes meat, fish, and seasonal produce, examples of meals include:
- Beef Bulgogi Meatballs
- Pork Sausage over Roasted Veggie Jumble
- Veggie – Premium meals using seasonal vegetables
- Hearty Black Bean and Poblano Soup
- Honey Miso Broccoli Donburi
- Family Friendly – Kid-friendly meals that are fast and easy to prepare
- Cheddar Wonderburgers
- Epic Nacho Mac ’n’ Cheese
- Calorie Smart – Meals that are in the 650 calorie range
- Oven-Ready Soy-Glazed Chicken
- Chili Lime Pork Cutlets
- Sweet and Spicy Mandarin Chicken
- Quick and Easy – Fast and easy meals with minimal prep and clean up
- Sweet and Spicy Mandarin Chicken
- Easy Bein’ Cheesy Chicken Quesadillas
- Pescatarian – A combination of fish and produce
- Tropical Sunset Barramundi
- Hibachi Sweet Soy Bavette Steak and Shrimp
After deciding on your meal plan, you can then chose the number of servings and recipes you want to be included each week. Each of the Hello Fresh subscription boxes includes all of the ingredients needed for the recipe and easy to follow directions.
Butcher Box is a meat delivery service. The Butcher Box specializes in sourcing premium quality meats that are free of both antibiotics and added hormones.
All of their meats are premium quality and humanely raised.
- Beef – 100% grass-fed and pasture-raised
- Chicken – Organic free-range and Global Animal Partnership certified
- Heritage Breed Pork – Vegetarian fed
- Seafood – Wild-caught and sustainably harvested
Plus, the Butcher Box partners with those who embrace fair labor practices.
There are five plans to choose from:
- Custom Box – Create your own box and select from 25+ different quality cuts of meat and seafood – starting at $4.97 per meal.
- Mixed Box – A combination of beef, chicken, and pork such as ground beef, tenderloin, and chicken breasts – starting at $5.38 per meal
- Beef and Chicken Box – Includes various beef and chicken cuts such as sirloin steaks, drumsticks, and chicken breasts – starting at $5.38 per meal.
- Beef and Pork Box – Includes various beef and pork cuts such as steaks, chops, and tenderloin – starting at $5.38 per meal.
- All Beef Box – Includes various beef cuts such as ground beef, roasts, and steaks – starting at $5.38 per meal
All of the curated plans come in two sizes – Classic Box (8.5-11 pounds) or the Big Box (16-22 pounds). The custom box comes in the Classic Box (9-14 pounds) or the Big Box for (18-26 pounds).
Rastelli's is a family-owned business founded in 1975 in New Jersey. It first began with Ray Rastelli Jr, and a few years later, his brother Tony added a second store. Today there are still two stores located in New Jersey, plus their online butcher and seafood shop.
All of Rastelli's meat and seafood partners are carefully selected for knowledge and responsible practices. Their chicken is free-range, the pork comes from heritage breed hogs, the beef is pasture-fed, and corn is finished for perfect marbling, and the seafood is sustainably sourced.
All of their meat and seafood boxes are available as a subscription at a discounted price. There are 11 different boxes to choose from:
- Steak Sampler for $149
- Surf and Turf for $189
- Seafood Sampler for $109
- Ribeye and Salmon for $109
- Cake Box (crab and shrimp) for $99
- Black Angus Sampler for $75
- Chicken Sampler for $69
- Burgers and Bacon for $109
- Wagu and Steak Craft Burger Sampler for $99
- Mixed Grill for $79
- Organic Beef Family Pack for $99
After choosing your subscription box, you can then select the frequency you want the subscription box delivered.
Vegan Cuts is a subscription box company specializing in various vegan products such as beauty products, makeup, and snacks. All of the Vegan Cuts products are guaranteed 100% vegan and cruelty-free.
They carry both popular and unique brands from all over the world, such as Tiny Toad, Nora Seaweed Snacks, Goddess Garden, Sunwarrior, and Earth Wise.
The Vegan Cuts Snack subscription box includes various tasty vegan products like mac and cheese, hot chocolate, avocado chips, and superfood smoothies.
When you sign up for the Vegan Snack Box, you can choose from four different subscription terms:
- Monthly for $24.95
- 3 months prepaid for $74.85
- 6 months prepaid for $134.70
- 12 months prepaid for $258.60
Each month the recipient will receive ten or more snack items, the perfect way to try new vegan treats. Plus, all of the vegan box subscriptions include the cost of shipping.
Love with Food
Love with Food is a food subscription box company specializing in clean ingredient snacks. All of their snacks are junk-free snacks, and subscriptions start as low as $7.99 per month. Best of all, for every product sold, Love with Food donate food through Feeding America.
And if you find a favorite treat in your monthly snack box, you can purchase more through their online snack shop. Plus, their rewards pantry allows you to redeem free snacks with points you earn through purchases and referrals.
There are three different snack subscription boxes available:
- Tasting: 7+ snacks per month starting at $7.99
- Deluxe: 15+ snacks per month starting at $16.50
- Gluten Friendly: 10+ snacks per month starting at $19.99
Some of the brands and snacks you might see in your subscription box include Boom Chicka A Pop, Hippeas, HalfPops, Go Organically, Banza, and Rise Buddy.
All of the snacks included are free from trans fats, hydrogenated oils, high fructose corn syrup, and artificial colors and flavors. Plus, the snacks will be either all-natural or organic.
The Mantry Company
The Mantry Company is a pantry staple subscription crate company tailored to men's tastes. The Mantry Company delivers its food crates every two months.
All of the products chosen, including the crate itself, are carefully selected from artisans from all over the country. The Mantry Company has tested more than 11,000 different products.
The Mantry Company has been recognized in GQ, Men's Health, and Forbes for the unique and premium service.
The crates are filled with delicious hearty products such as:
- BBQ sauces from Alabama
- Bison Jerky from Montana
- Birch Syrup from Alaska
- Stone Ground Hot Cake Mix from Nebraska
Every crate has a novel theme, such as the Bacon Nation, Greetings from Tenessee, Taco Issue, Gilling and Smoke Issue, Travel Issue, and Biergarten.
Each crate contains six full-sized products, all American made, plus tips and recipes on how best to use that month's products. The crate is $75 per month, and subscriptions can be canceled anytime.
The Popcorn Factory
The Popcorn Factory is an online popcorn company that specializes in popcorn gifts. They have been making popcorn since 1979 and pop more than a million pounds of popcorn each year.
The Popcorn Factory stands behind their product with their Popcorn Promise: You and your recipients must be absolutely delighted!
Though you can purchase their popcorn in individual canisters, they do offer two different popcorn of the month clubs:
- Popcorn Lover’s Flavor of the Month Club – 1 Gallon Tin 7 to 33 ounces of popcorn for $19.99 per month
- The Flavor of the Month Club – Small plastic canister with 2.5 to 9.5 ounces of popcorn for $12.99 per month
Both subscriptions have predetermined selections and include flavors such as Cranberry Kettle, Chocolate Covered Strawberry, Cookies and Creme, Bacon Cheddar, Ranch, and Mesquite BBQ.
The subscriptions come in a 12-month membership, which ships during the first week of each month. All of the different month's flavors are listed on their website.
Murray's, located in New York City, has three brick and mortar cheese shops in addition to their online store. Murray's has one of the largest online cheese selections. However, they offer more than just cheese; they also carry various charcuterie, pantry staples, and sweets.
If you are interested in learning more about cheese, check out one of their virtual cheese classes, such as Meat and Cheese Pairings, Cocktails and Cheese, Cheeseboard Making, Wine and Cheese Pairings, and more.
By far the best way to sample Murray's cheeses is to sign up for one of their five monthly cheese clubs:
- Classic Cheese Club: Three to four classic styles of cheese starting at $63
- Cheesemonger's Pick: Three to four adventurous cheese selections starting at $75
- American Cheese Club: American artisan cheeses starting at $90
- Perfect Pair Club: Two kinds of cheese and two accompaniments starting at $85
- Cheeseboard of the Month: One to three kinds of cheese, one or two types of charcuterie, and one to three accompaniments, plus step by step instructions for cutting and creating a premium cheeseboard. Starting at $113
Carnivore Club is a specialty food shop focused on gourmet meat gifts. The Carnivore Club is the first subscription box company focused on delivering premium cured meats conveniently to your door.
Though the Carnivore Club is a subscription service, they do offer a wide array of gifts for meat lovers, some of the unique gifts offered are Salami Bouquet, Taste of Europe Salami Sampler Tin, and Wild Game Meat Sampler.
Additionally, they have several carnivore crates:
- Gluten-Free Niagra Foods Specialty Cured Meats Box
- Gourmet Spanish Seafood Tapas Box
- Jerky Gift Tin
- Pickled Goods and Spreads Pairing Kit
Best of all is their Premium Small Batch Charcuterie Carnivore Club Box. There are three delivery options available monthly, every other month, and every three months, starting at $39.99.
This classic charcuterie box includes a variety of four to six different handcrafted types of meat. Some of the gourmet meats include salami, prosciutto, bacon, and more. Each month you will receive a unique box featuring cured meats from around the world.
Wine Down Box
Wine Down Box is a subscription company specializing in creating the perfect pairings of wine, cheese, and charcuterie. The small-batch wines included in the Wine Down Box come from California vineyards.
The artisanal cheese and handcrafted charcuterie are all carefully selected to complement the wine. And to top it all off, the box includes crackers made from scratch.
There are four different subscription boxes to choose from:
- 1 month for $70 per box
- 3 months prepaid for $68 per box
- 6 months prepaid for $65 per box
- 12 months prepaid for $63 per box
Each box includes:
- 1 bottle of limited production California wine
- ~8 oz. fresh artisan cheese
- ~2-5 oz. delicious charcuterie
- 2 oz. hand-made crackers
- Wine, cheese, and charcuterie tasting notes.
Shipping is included with each membership. Most boxes arrive by the 25th of each month. Examples of previous boxes from 2018 include:
- Pinot Noir, Barolo, and Garlic Peppercorn Cheese
- Chardonnay, Finocchiona, and East Meadow Cheese
- Pinot Grigio, Cacciatore, and Sage and Herb Cheese
Plus, if you are looking for ideas for pairings in between boxes, Wine Down Box lists their previous pairings on their website, including their tasting notes for each element.
Harry and David
Harry and David originally began as Bear Creek Orchards when Samuel Rosenberg bought an orchard in Rogue River Valley, Oregon. This family-owned and operated business began with their famous pears.
One of the first things the brothers did upon returning from college was to plant a Comice pear tree from France. The pear tree flourished and produced even heartier fruit to everyone's surprise than it did when in France.
Harry and David named their new Oregon pear the Royal Riviera, which is the pear that would eventually make Harry and David famous. The pear was well received, and even the Great Depression could not impede the orchard's success.
Today they offer much more than just pears. Harry and David carry everything imaginable in the form of an edible gourmet gift. Plus, they have several subscriptions and one-time gourmet gifts, including a Fruit, Wine, and Cheese Club.
The Fruit, Wine, and Cheese subscription box comes in four different options:
- 3 months for $174.99
- 6 months for $324.99
- 9 months for $499.99
- 12 months for $599.99
All of the months are predetermined and include a different wine, cheese, and fruit. Some of the months selections include:
- Cara Cara Oranges, Rogue Creamery Touvelle Cheese, and Moscato
- Pineapple, Beehive Cheese Co. SeaHive Cheese, and Sauvignon Blanc
- Strawberries, Devonshire Cream, and Pinot Noir Rosé
- Mango, Fiscallini San Joaquin Gold Cheese, and Moscato
- Plump-Sweet Cherries, Brie, and Pinot Noir
Each of the wine selections are part of the Harry and David collection.
Wolferman's Bakery, founded in 1888 by Louis Wolferman, began as a local grocery store in Kansas City, Missouri. And in 1910, Wolferman's started baking their “legendary super-thick” English muffins.
Over the years, Wolferman's transitioned from a grocery to a bakery. However, with its great success as a bakery, Wolferman's eventually changed to an online bakery, making their treats accessible to customers all over the country.
Some of the favorite Wolferman's treats include pastries, cakes, fruit spreads, coffee and tea, cheesecakes, gluten-free baked goods, quick bread, variety baskets, and gourmet gifts.
Best of all, Wolferman's offers a Bakery Favorites Club so you can have the opportunity to try a variety of their different pastries. There are three different club options to select from:
- 3 months for $79.99
- 6 months for $149.99
- 12 months for $274.99
Each month is predetermined; some of the different months selections include:
- Davidovich Bakery New York Everything Bagels
- Tearoom Scones Sampler
- Delightful Dessert Bars
- Classic Cinnamon Rolls
- Biscotti – 3 Pack
- Galette Cookie Box
- Gourmet Waffle Assortment
- Signature Baklava Duo
- Loaf Cake Sampler
- Classic Brownies Gift Box
- Kringle Wreaths
- Maple-Glazed Sweet Rolls
McConnell's Fine Ice Cream
McConnell's Fine Ice Cream was founded in 1949 and still makes their ice cream from scratch. Originally McConnell's started as The Old Dairy in 1934 in Santa Barbara, California.
McConnell's uses minimal ingredients while also omitting things like stabilizers, emulsifiers, preservatives, artificial flavors, dyes, and fillers. McConnell's prides themselves on creating the finest ice cream using sustainable and responsible methods.
You can find McConnell's ice cream shops throughout California. And for those who don't live near one of their stores, you can always shop online. With twenty-four flavors, five of which are limited release, it can be difficult to decide on just one flavor.
However, the good news is that there is an ice cream subscription box. The McConnell's Pint of the Month subscription gives ice cream lovers access to McConnell's newest and best flavors, including limited editions.
There are three different membership terms:
- 3 months for $144
- 6 months for $289
- 12 months for $528
All Pint Club membership prices are prepaid and include shipping and handling.
Each month the recipient receives three different flavored pints of ice cream. Shipments go out on the third Monday of the month. The week before your ice cream ships, you will receive a reminder email that it is on its way. The email will also list that month's flavors as well as the tracking information.