The first known avocados are believed to date back as far as 7,000 – 5,000 BC. But it wasn't until 1871 when Judge, R.B. Ord of Santa Monica, California, finally introduced this delicious fruit to the United States.
The avocado's name underwent a multitude of changes as it was introduced to new cultures. The name the Aztecs used for avocado was unpronounceable to the Spanish conquistadores, so it was renamed aguacate, and when added to the English language, it became the Avocado.
Avocados are not only tasty but, they also have several health benefits:
- Heart Healthy
- Fights Depression
- Nutrient and Vitamin Rich
- Cancer Preventive
- Aids in the prevention of and helps treat Osteoporosis
- Improve Digestive Health
- Antimicrobial fights off E-Coli
- boost fat intake for the keto diet
In addition to adding much-needed nutrients, avocados can replace bad fats with good fats. Some great ways to use avocados are listed below.
- Can be used instead of mayonnaise or sour cream
- Ice Cream Substitute
- It can be added to almost any dish such as eggs, burgers, smoothies, and sushi
- It can replace fats in baking
- It can be made into salad dressing replacing oils
- It can replace potatoes as a low carb snack, served raw, baked, or grilled.
- Low Carb Hummus or pancakes
So, if you, or someone you love is changing or living a healthier lifestyle, a great way to support them is to gift them with an avocado of the month club membership. If avocados aren't their thing, a fruit of the month club might be.
Honestly though, for me, these clubs have nothing to do with health. For me, I just love fresh avocado, and I'm fascinated by all the varieties you can't buy in the store. There are over 500 varieties of avocado, so there's a lot more out there than just Hass and Mexicola.
This gift may sound a bit a goofy, but if you know an avocado-obsessed person, they'll love it. A monthly avocado subscription will remind them that you are thinking about them all year long.
Table of Contents
- Avocado of the Month Club
- California Avocado Direct.com
- Avocado Organic.com
- Avocado Monthly
- Frog Hollow Farm
- Daily Harvest Express.com
- Limoneira Lifestyles
Avocado of the Month Clubs
Avocado of the Month Club
Greg & Lori Blume founded the Avocado of the Month Club in 2004 and made their first sale that October. They are strictly an online store that specializes in rare gourmet avocados. Their avocados are shipped fresh from San Luis Obispo, CA.
Avocados purchased from the Avocado of the Month Club are shipped from the local growers within 24-48 hours after they were ordered. The varieties of avocados available online are dependent on the season, as they only sell the freshest fruit from the local farmers.
In addition to club subscriptions, they also offer a variety of products like avocado oils, artichokes, and various kitchen gadgets.
All Avocado of the Month memberships include:
- Free shipping
- Hass and available seasonal avocado options
- Recipe booklet
- Ripening instructions
The 13 Avocado of the Month subscription varieties are:
- Three Month Avocado Gift Box Memberships
- 3 Pounds – 4-6 avocados $134.95
- 4 Pounds – 6-8 avocados $149.95
- 6 pounds – 8-12 avocados $214.95
- Avocado and Oil – 6 Hass Avocados and a different 8.5-ounce bottle of avocado oil each month
- Four Month Avocado Gift Box Memberships
- 4 Pounds – 6-8 avocados $194.95
- Six Month Avocado Gift Box Memberships
- 3 Pounds – 4-6 avocados $269.95
- 4 Pounds – 6-8 avocados $279.95
- 6 pounds – 8-12 avocados $389.95
- Avocado and Oil – 6 Hass Avocados and a different 8.5-ounce bottle of avocado oil each month $479.95
- Eight Month Avocado Gift Box Memberships
- 4 Pounds – 6-8 avocados $369.95
- 6 pounds – 8-12 avocados $519.95
- Twelve Month Avocado Gift Box Memberships
- 4 Pounds – 6-8 avocados $529.95
- 6 pounds – 8-12 avocados $739.95
In addition to their wide variety of avocado of the month subscriptions, they also offer some lovely gift baskets, including an avocado picnic basket.
California Avocado Direct.com
California Avocado has been growing avocados since 1901 and is now run by the 4th generation, keeping the love of avocados growing strong. California Avocado Direct.com handpicks and ships their avocados the same day. They are located in sunny Escondido, CA.
California Avocado offers a 12-month subscription box that includes 6 large California avocados. Each month your avocados will be double boxed and packed in wood excelsior padding, to ensure they arrive in the best condition.
Shipping is based on when the order was placed. So, after the first shipment goes out the subsequent shipments will be sent that same week each month. Shipping costs are $13.99 per month and will be itemized as such on each bill.
Depending on the season and availability the avocados may be one of the following varieties:
- Lamb Hass
In addition to the avocado of the month subscription, they also offer a variety of gift baskets and mandarin oranges, when available.
Avocado Organic.com started in 1970, with the Nordeen family in Northern San Diego, CA. Over the next 40 years, the Nordeen family farm has expanded to 25 acres and now grows some of the most delicious organic Hass, Bacon, and Fuerte avocados.
The farm is currently run by the fourth generation of the Nordeen family. Though they still maintain some of the original Bacon and Fuerte Avocado trees, their primary focus is on the Hass.
The Hass avocado is similar in flavor to the Fuerte but is a more durable fruit making it ideal for shipping cross country.
Avocado Organic.com has three subscription boxes. All include free shipping and sales tax.
- The Premium California Avocado Subscription – Keep 'em coming!
- 5% discount
- Deliveries every 1-4 weeks
- No contracts
- 5 pounds which are 8-12 avocados per box
- $34.99 per box, regardless of frequency
- Premium California Avocados – 4 boxes
- One box delivered every three weeks for a total of four shipments
- Each shipment contains 10-12 avocados, about 5+ pounds
- Premium California Avocados – 8 boxes
- One box delivered every three weeks for a total of eight shipments
- Each shipment contains 10-12 avocados, about 5+ pounds
The Foster family, founders of Avocado Monthly, has been in the avocado farming business for generations. Ralph Foster is the third generation operator of the avocado farms. The family's goal is to provide fresh, unique avocados cross-country from their farm to your home.
They pride themselves on being one of the first farms to ship avocados from the nicknamed avocado capital of the world, aka Fallbrook, to New York. They have been providing excellent fruits to homes across the US for generations.
Avocado Monthly offers four different six avocado membership options:
- 1 Month $29.50
- 3 Months $88.50
- 6 Months $172
- 12 Months $341
The second option offers 9 avocados in the same monthly increments:
- 1 Month $40
- 3 Months $120
- 6 Months $234
- 12 Months $456
Each month you will receive a seasonally appropriate avocado variety. If you order the 12-month option, the recipient will be able to enjoy 16 different kinds of avocados, plus a free bottle of honey.
However, if you are looking for a more straightforward option, check out their avocado gift basket that features, in-season avocados, fresh citrus fruit, and honey. There are three gift boxes to choose from:
- Classic 6 Avocado Gift Pack $50
- Super Citrus Avocado Gift Pack $60
- Mini 4 Avocado Gift Pack $35
Avocado Gift Boxes
Frog Hollow Farm
Frog Hollow Farm is located in Brentwood, CA, and has been in business since 1976. Frog Hollow is a certified organic farm that focuses on sustainability. Al, one of the farmers at Frog Hollow, was one of the first farmers to embrace and embark on organic farming in the 1980s.
Frog Hollow is a fruit farm that grows a wide variety of fruits like:
- Blood Oranges
Plus, in addition to the fruit they grow, they also sell:
- Baked Goods
- Fruit Conserves
- Olive Oils
Amongst their many options, Frog Hollow also offers an organic bacon avocado gift boxes.
James Bacon invented the hybrid Bacon avocado in 1954. The Bacon avocado is greener than the traditional Hass avocado and is also thought to be less oily. However, the bacon avocado has retained its delicious creamy flavor and texture.
The boxes come in:
- 3 pounds – About 6 avocados $31
- 5 pounds – About 10 avocados $45
- 10 pounds – About 20 Avocados $80
Daily Harvest Express.com
The Daily Harvest Express is a blended family run business. Its founders are a culmination of professions, brought together by their mutual love of farming. The family's diverse backgrounds are what made Harvest Express such a successful business.
The Daily Harvest is an online farmers market. Its goal is to bring fresh and natural foods to those too busy to make it to the farmers market. In addition to their avocados, you can find an abundance of farm-grown foods on their website. Things like:
- Truffle Butter
- Nut Butters
- Dried Fruits
- Fresh Fruits and Vegetables
- Jams, Jellies, and Marmalade
- Baked Goods
They also offer a few different box options, either for the home or as gifts. Some of their box options can be set up as a subscription, whereas others can be a one-time shipment. Additionally, you can create your box or buy one that is already predesigned.
The avocado gift box is called California Avocado Lovin' Package. It features nine avocados, which will be a mix of Hass and Bacon varieties. These avocados are grown in the San Diego area.
They are packed securely in a specially designed gift box to prevent damage during shipping. The gift box costs $35, plus an $11 shipping charge.
The Limoneira farms have been in business for 120 years. They are best known for their lemon and avocado-based beauty products, but they also sell their produce for culinary use as well.
Their avocado farms total 1,169 acres throughout the optimal avocado farmlands of California. Limoneira also grows lemons for both beauty and culinary uses. Their lemon farms expand over 3,000 acres in the California area.
Their avocado farms total 1,169 acres throughout the farmlands of California. In addition to avocados, Limoneira grows lemons for both beauty and culinary uses. Their lemon farms expand over 3,000 acres in the California area.
The Limoneira farms pride themselves on providing fruit that is grown using water conservation practices, soil enrichment methods, green materials recycling, and solar energy
Limoneira offers five different year-round gift boxes.
- Avocado Bounty – Includes a case of avocados, avocado culinary accessories, and ripening bag and instructions (featured in the above photo) – $50
- Nature's Green Kisses – 8 Hass Avocados – $25
- Pride of Heritage Valley – 4 Lemons, 4 Avocados, and 4 oranges – $30
- Sports Fan's Delight – 4 Avocados, 2 Lemons, 2 Limes, and the Limoneira Guacamole recipe – $25
- Gift of Entertainment – 8 Hass Avocados, 16 Lemons, 14 Limes, 1 Avocado Slicer, 1 Avocado Scraper, 1 Citrus Peeler, ripening bag and instructions, and 6 recipes. – $57