As to when the craft of crochet was first invented is still up for debate. Some believe crochet started in Arabia and spread east. Others think crochet could have been created in South America or China, based on the archeological findings.
Regardless of where it started, crochet has spread worldwide and is a craft enjoyed by thousands. But as many crafters know, it can take time to find a pattern and collect the materials and tools needed for a project. This is why so many are turning to crochet subscription boxes.
Crochet of the month clubs are a great way to save time since the boxes are conveniently shipped to your door. Plus, you never have to take the time to search the internet for a new project since that’s part of the magic of a crochet subscription. You can even combine them with yarn of the month clubs or other craft clubs to give you a truly diverse selection of activities.
And crochet of the month clubs come in a variety of options and price points. For crocheters with a big yarn stash and plenty of tools, a crochet pattern of the month club will help you get through some of the yarn you’ve had on hand for years. Also, several crochet clubs for beginners include the patterns, digital instructions, and everything you need, including the hook.
So whether you are an old hand at crocheting or just starting, there is a crochet of the month club that is perfect for you.
Crochet of the Month Clubs
YarnYAY, founded by Vicki Howell, is located in Austin, Texas. Ms. Howell has been part of the knitting and crocheting community for years and has written such books as Top 10 Crochet Hats, AwareKnits: Knit and Crochet Projects for the Eco-Conscious Stitcher, and Vickie Howell’s Pop Goes Crochet!: 36 Projects Inspired by Icons of Popular Culture.
YarnYAY is a subscription-based company that supports other women-owned companies worldwide. The primary focus of YarnYAY is to help introduce fun fibers to other fellow crafters that they can later find at their local yarn shops. The sample yarns included in each box are specialty hand-dyed or indie mainstay yarns.
And though their focus is knit and crochet subscription boxes, they do sell other accessories such as crochet hooks, deluxe wood swift, wool care kits, tassel makers, patterns, and more.
The YarnYAY subscription box comes in four payments options:
- Month-to-month for $35
- 3-month prepay for $103
- 6-month prepay for $203
- 12-month prepay for $400 (plus, you will get a 13th box free)
Each YarnYAY subscription box includes:
- A sample portion of yarn
- A corresponding crochet pattern
- 2 specialty items
- 5% discount to the YarnYAY online store
- Access to the members only Facebook page
The YarnYAY subscription box does not include crochet hooks.
Plus, YarnYAY has a Block Builder Crochet Club for only $6 per month. The Block Builder Club is a digital download crochet of the month club that sends members a new block pattern each month. Each block pattern is for a unique 16-inch block that is part of a 12-block pattern.
However, if you choose to do less than the 12-block blanket, you can use the blocks for alternative projects such as pillows or small throws. The patterns are emailed on the 1st of each month.
Annie’s Kit Clubs
Annie’s Kit Clubs is owned and operated by the Muselman family and is connected to Annie’s Craft Store. Annie’s first opened in 1925, but back then was strictly a printing company. Since then, the company has expanded and added Annie’s Craft Store in 1975 and Annie’s Kit Clubs some years later.
Annie’s sells various craft items such as magazines, patterns, digital media, crochet and knitting tools, sewing and quilting accessories, and instructional books.
Annie’s Kit Clubs has various craft subscription boxes for both children and adults. Some of the craft subscription boxes available include quilt and sewing, paper, jewelry, yarn, crochet, knit, and general crafts.
Annie’s Kit Clubs has three different crochet subscription boxes to choose from:
- Caring Crochet Knit Club
- Crochet for a cause, receive a new crochet project with all of the needed materials to create a thoughtful gift for someone in need.
- In addition to all of the items needed to complete that month’s project, you will also get instructions on where and how to send your finished item.
- Block of the Month Club
- 11 monthly kits containing the yarn and patterns for three blocks
- The finished afghan will have 30 blocks with a decorative border.
- Choose from four color options: Coastal Gray, Warm Sand, Natural Pearl, and Meadow Lane.
- Crochet Striped Afghan Club
- The first 10 boxes contain the yarn and pattern to complete three stripes.
- The 11th box will include the yarn and instructions for the border and how to finish the afghan.
- Available in four color options: Plumberry, Seaside, Natural Pearl, and Cozy Cottage
- Hook and Needle Club
- Receive two patterns, one for crochet and the other for knitting the same project
- Yarn to complete that month’s project
- Some of the projects include scarves, bags, and baby blankets.
- Moroccan Tile Afghan
- 10-month project
- Access to online tutorials
- Yarn for each tile
All memberships include a digital stitch guide to help you get started or brush up on old skills.
Crochet Surprise is a crochet subscription box company based out of Indianapolis, Indiana. Though they offer crochet hook sets, they are not a full online yarn or craft store.
Crochet Surprise offers two different monthly subscription options:
- Digital Club – Ideal for crocheters who have a large stash of yarn and need some fabulous patterns to go with those skeins
- $7 per month or $60 per year
- Step-by-step video tutorial
- PDF detailed instructions
- Monthly Crochet Surprise Box
- Includes pattern, yarn, and any other materials needed to complete the project, except for the hooks
- Premium loose leaf tea
- It is available as a one-time purchase or subscription.
- $29.95 per month or $335.40 per year
Some of the previous Monthly Crochet Surprise Box projects included BOHO Table Runner, Koala with Heart, Bubble Wrap Slouch Hat, Christmas Stockings, and Placemats.
Monthly Crochet boxes ship out around the 26th of each month, going out via USPS. The shipping cost is a flat fee of $9.95 in the US, $16 to Canada, and $18 for international shipments. Monthly subscriptions can be canceled anytime through your account.
Knit Wise is an online yarn boutique that specializes in knit and crochet of the month clubs. However, Knit Wise also has an online craft store where you can pick up fun, unique yarn, tools, and kits.
The idea behind Knit Wise was to make crafting easier, taking out the shopping and guesswork of finding a new project so you can spend more time doing what you love.
Knit Wise offers four monthly subscription options based on your needs:
- Knit Monthly
- Crochet Monthly
- Just the Yarn
- Just the Pattern – Available for both knitting and crocheting, ideal for advanced crafters
The Knit Wise Crochet Monthly Subscription Box is available in two skill level options, Beginner and Intermediate; both options are available in:
- Month-to-month for $29 per month
- 3-month prepay for $85
- 6-month prepay for $165
Both boxes include everything you need to complete that month’s project, including the yarn, tools, and easy-to-follow instructions.
Just the Pattern monthly subscription is:
- Month-to-month for $8 per month
- 3-month prepay for $22
- 6-month prepay for $40
The digital plan includes both knitting and crochet patterns and a material list for each. The digital project is emailed out on the 20th of each month.
Leither Company is owned and operated by Ashley and Eric. It is an online crochet subscription company, but they offer a wide range of crochet tools and hand-dyed yarns. In addition to their crochet of the month club options, they also sell various kits, patterns, yarn in a variety of weights and colors, handmade ergonomic crochet hooks, and more.
Their Leither Collection Crochet subscription box is available in four options:
- Leither Collection Deluxe Box w/1 Merino Skein and Funfetti Crochet Hook for $45 per month
- Leither Collection Merino Yarn Box w/1 Skein for $23 per month
- Leither Collection Merino Yarn Box w/2 Skeins for $40 per month
- Leither Collection Deluxe Box w/2 Merino Skeins and Funfetti Crochet Hook for $62 per month
All of the boxes contain:
- 1 or 2 skeins of hand-dyed merino wool, based on which package you chose
- Funfetti handmade crochet hook
- 1 stitch marker
- 2 crochet patterns
- Video tutorial for that month’s projects
- Free shipping
If in the event you do not like the pattern included in that month’s box, you can always choose to go online to their website and find another design. Though the Leither Company has patterns available for purchase, they offer a handful of free designs such as the Blooming Flowers Crochet Hook Pouch, Simplicity Socks, and the free e-book of one skein crochet patterns.
Subscription boxes ship out on the 15th of each month, and memberships are limited, so be sure to sign up soon.
Mary Maxim was started in 1935 in Manitoba by the McPhedrain family and is still a family-owned and operated company. They began as a pattern and catalog company that spread across North America. Though they still offer their catalog, many of their products can now be found and ordered online.
The Mary Maxim online store offers more than just yarn and patterns; they also carry puzzles and puzzle accessories, needlework, painting crafts, latch hooks, macrame, and jewelry kits.
In addition to their many products, Mary Maxim also has a variety of craft of the month clubs such as puzzle of the month, the plastic canvas of the month club, the ornament of the month club, and the knit of the month club. And they have two crochet of the month clubs to choose from too:
- Crochet Club of the Month for $14.99 per month + Shipping, which will be determined when your item ships
- Quarterly Crochet Afghan Club for $29.99 per month + $4.99 for shipping and handling
The crochet of the month subscription boxes are eligible for return up to 6 months as long as the box is in resellable condition.
Knit Crate strives to offer natural fiber yarns that are good for our planet at a discounted price. Though Knit Crate is a subscription company, they do provide a full line of crochet tools and supplies such as skeins of yarn in bulk or sold individually, kits, patterns, and notions.
They also have four clubs to choose from:
- Knit and Crochet Club for $29.99 per month
- Mrs. Crosby Travels the World Quarterly Club for $69.99 per quarter
- Sock Knit & Crochet 12-Month Club for $24.99 per month
- Malabrigo Quarterly Club for $24.99 per quarter
Shipping is not included in the above Knit Crate monthly subscription prices.
Chanie Anna Weiss
Is there a crochet club that meets on Zoom? I don’t need a box of supplies. I’d like company while I work, to help me get my projects done!