Today caramel is such a popular treat that many candy companies have caramel of the month clubs. These caramel subscriptions allow the recipient to indulge in a variety of small bath caramel flavors from all over the US.
However, historically, the first variation of caramel was hard and crunchy and created by the Arabians in 1000 AD. It was initially called “kurat al milh” which translates to “sweet ball of salt.”
Over time, around 1850, “kurat al milh” evolved into a soft creamy candy, due to the introduction of fat and milk. Since the first caramel different ingredients have been added and subtracted from the recipe, such as:
- Sugar beet juice
- Corn Syrup
- Refined Sugar
- Coconut oil
- Maple Syrup
Here in the US, we can thank the Hershey company for aiding in caramel's popularity. Founder Milton S. Hershey launched the Lancaster Caramel Company in 1886. It didn't take long before they were shipping this buttery treat all over the US and into Europe.
Since 1886 caramel has come a long way from the original classic caramel flavor. Much like many of the other confections time has developed the flavors to include:
- Sea Salt
- Caramels with Nuts
- Beer and Ale
- Cookies and Cream
Table of Contents
Caramel of the Month Clubs
- Sweet Jules Gifts
- Le Bon Garcon
- McCrea's Candies
- Dallas Caramel Company
- Caramel Caravan Co.
Sweet Jules Gifts
Sweet Jules Gifts, founded by sisters Jule Vranian and Hope Klocker in 2009, is located in Minnetonka, Minnesota. The sister duo has over 50 years in the food industry, having grown up in their family's restaurant.
In addition to their online store, they also have a retail store that's open Wednesday through Saturday. Sweet Jules Gifts offers a variety of caramels like:
- Pub Crawl
- Tropical Passion
- Dark Chocolate and Pecan
- Sicilian Orange
- Fleur De Sel
- Classic Vanilla
- Chocolate Caramel with Sea Salt
- Caramel Sauce
- Cafe Italiano
- Beer and Pretzel
However, if you aren't in Minnesota, they ship both USPS and FedEx. Of the many gifts, Sweet Jules offers, a monthly caramel club is one of them. The Sweet Jules Caramel of the Month Club comes in two different sizes:
- Large Box – 1 pound 32 Caramels $515
- Medium – 1/2 pound 16 Caramels $275
The Caramel of the Month Club includes:
- Free Shipping
- Handcrafted Uniques Selection of Caramels each month
- Various Bonus Surprise Gifts
- The first month is always an assortment of their signature flavors
Some of the flavors included are:
- January: Classic Vanilla Bean AND Cafe Italiano
- February: Chocolate Lovers Dream: Jules of Paris AND Dark Chocolate & Pecan
- March: Fleur de Sel with a Bonus Surprise!
- April: New Seasonal Flavors
- May: Assorted Signature Flavors with a Bonus Surprise!
- June: Petite Saveur
- July: Combo of Sicilian Orange, Bananas Foster, Cafe Italiano, Classic Vanilla Bean
- August: Salted Caramel Collection
- September: Assorted Signature Flavors with a Bonus Surprise!
- October: Fall Combo: Farm Apple Spice AND Classic Vanilla Bean
- November: Classic Vanilla Bean AND Fleur de Sel
- December: Assortment
Le Bon Garcon
Le Bon Garcon translates to The Good Boy is located in Los Angeles. It first opened its doors in 2010 by Chef Justin Chao. Chef Chao started his career in architectural design, but eventually realized his love of culinary arts held a greater hold than the drafting table.
So Chao pursued his career as a pastry chef. First, it started as classes just for fun but eventually left for Paris to begin his new career. Finally, his work brought him back to California, where he was employed at the Historic Grill until he later opened Le Bon Garcon.
Le Bon Garcon caramels are French Style Caramels, hand created and cooked in copper pots. Le Bon Garcon offers a variety of flavors like:
- Blood Orange and Champagne
- Earl Grey
- Honey Lavender
- Salted Caramel
To experience an array of these delightful caramels, try one of the three monthly clubs available. The Caramel Gold Club comes in three options:
- Month to Month, 3-Month, 6-Month all $25 per Month
The monthly subscription includes:
- 4-ounce box of Limited Edition Flavor Caramels
- 4-ounce bag of Classic Sea-Salt Caramels
- A Surprise Caramel Sample
- $4.95 flat rate shipping charge – USPS
McCrea's Candies, founded by Jason McCrea, is headquartered in Hyde Park, MA. Jason's first career was initially in the science community, but caramel making was his true passion.
With his background in chemistry and with the help of family and friends, he started McCrea's Candies. Though the company name includes “candies,” McCrea's specializes in caramels, and though they may offer chocolates for special occasions, it is not a standard option.
They sell a variety of gift box options and even a caramel of the month club. The caramel of the month club comes in three different duration options:
- Three months: $79.95
- Six months: $149.95
- 12 months: $289.95
The subscription box includes:
- Approximately three dozen caramels packed in a black McCrea's gift box
- Each month the caramel connoisseur will choose a new monthly flavor
- Shipping's included in the price of the membership
- Some of the flavors that might be included are:
- Cape Cod Sea Salt
- Tapped Maple
- Classic Vanilla
- Deep Chocolate
- Single Malt Scotch
- Dark Roasted Mocha
- Black Lava Sea Salt
- Café Noir
- Ginger Fusion
- Rosemary Truffle Sea Salt
Dallas Caramel Company
In 2007, Rain McDermott opened the Dallas Caramel Company, headquartered in Wylie, Texas.
McDermott, a native to Dallas, later moved to Plano, but never lost her love for Dallas. When she was 9 years old, she went on a daddy and daughter in Dallas, and ever since, McDermott, knew she wanted to make her mark on Dallas.
And today that dream is a reality, with the Dallas Caramel Company.
Some of the various caramel treats the Dallas Caramel Company offers are:
- Armadillos – Caramel TxTurtles
- Horned Toad – Caramel TxTurtles
- Caramel Pretzels
- Tumbleweeds – Caramel TxTurtles
- Bacon Armadillos – TxTurtles
- Marshmallow Caramel
- Caramel Pop!
- Caramel Apples
- Caramel Sauce
- Celebration Boxes
Their caramel of the month club is the optimal way to try a variety of the big Texan flavors offered by the Dallas Caramel Company. There are five different sizes and duration membership options.
- Three months 1/2 pound $70
- Six months 1/2 pound $140 – 3 piece Pack + 1/2 pound variety pack for the buyer
- Six months 1 pound $190 – 3 piece Pack + pound variety pack for the buyer
- 12 months 1/2 pound $160 – Free Shipping and 10% discount
- 12 months 1 pound $260 – Free Shipping and 10% discount
Below is the caramel club subscription schedule:
- January – Espresso
- February – Chocolate
- March – TxDrunken Nut
- April – Marshmallow
- May – Orange
- June – Bacon
- July – LTO Summer Mix
- August – Sea Salt
- September – Apple Pie
- October – Pumpkin
- November – Chai
- December – LTO Holiday Mix
Velatis has a long history dating back to the 1850s, when Salvator Velati, an Italian immigrant, opened the first store in Richmond, Virginia. Unfortunately, the store did not survive the taking of Richmond by General Grant.
However, that was not to be the end of this candy shop, and in 1866, they reopened in Washington, D.C. Since then, Velatis has grown and established itself as a world-renowned caramel producer.
Today you can still visit the Velatis shop on Georgia Ave in D.C. In addition to their D.C. location, they also have a retail store in the Pentagon and are partnered with Piazza Italian Market in Easton, Maryland.
Besides their famous caramels, they also offer:
Their caramel of the month club is $480 plus shipping. Some of the caramel flavors that you might see in your shipments are:
- Vanilla Sugary Pecan
- Chocolate Sugary Walnut
- Chocolate Sugary Almond
- Chocolate Chewy Sea Salt
- Vanilla Chewy Marshmallow
- Rocky Road
- Chocolate Chewy Marshmallow
- Chocolate Chewy Almond
- Vanilla Chewy Pecan
Caramel Caravan Co.
Founders Courtney and Celia combined their love of culinary, caramels, and their MBAs from Santa Clara University to create the Caramel Caravan Co. Though there is no Caramel Caravan Co. storefront, they do offer their caramels online as well as through several retailers across the US.
The duo cooks their gourmet caramels in the traditional copper kettles; then hand cuts each piece. Courtney and Celia do their best to source their ingredients like cream and butter from the local bay area.
Caramel Caravan Co. offers a multitude of flavored caramels plus, special holiday varieties like Valentine's Dark Chocolate Caramel Pretzels.
If you are searching for the ideal present or party favor, the Caramel Caravan can help you. And if you are looking for a steady caramel supply, then you should try their monthly caramel subscription variety box.
The subscription is a month to month subscription and comes in two different quantity options:
- 10 Piece for $18
- 20 Piece for $32
Each box includes a variety of the following five flavors:
- Dark Chocolate Sea Salt
- Dark Chocolate Marshmallow
- Sea Salt
Orders are shipped Monday through Thursday via USPS.